Sunday, July 29, 2012

glass etching



Here is the direct link for: Glass Etching.

This idea comes from the blog, Make It and Love it. The blog's author, Ashley, has some fresh ideas for creative gift giving. She gives a great tutorial through photos on how to etch glass like my pyrex serving pan above.

All you need is a little time and the necessary tools: sheet of vinyl, stencil, exacto knife with sharp blade, Armour Etch (found at Michael's) and the glass item to etch on.

Ashley gives the example of putting your last name on a Pyrex dish that you bring to potlucks all the time. Great idea! 

Armour Etch is an acid cream. Ashley scares you a little with her statement, "Again, this process makes the etching permanent. The cream is an acid, and etches away at the surface of your glass . . . . transforming the look of your glass permanently. So you cannot rub or wash the etching off." So pick a simple design you can live with for the rest of your life or until you accidentally break the dish and need to purchase another.

The instructions on the bottle of Armour Etch says to leave the cream on the glass for one minute, but Ashley left hers on for 10 minutes. I did 10 minutes too. And then I reapplied it and had it sit for another 10 minutes. I wanted to see if it would turn whiter and it slightly did.

There definitely is a learning curve working with the vinyl, getting it on straight and getting the words centered within the pan edge. Mine could use a some tweeking, but overall I am pleased with my results and my 'new' pan.


The red pin award for working out of my comfort zone (using the acid), plus for my new pan!

This would be fun for putting initials on a glass jar, like 'C' for cookie.



 
Happy pinning!

1 comment: