Saturday, July 28, 2012

how to boil an egg?


Here is the direct link for: Do You Know How to Boil an Egg?

Last week I baked my eggs, this week I boiled them. Whoever knew there were so many ways to achieve a simple solid-cooked egg?

This pin comes from the blog, It's Fitting. The blog's author starts out by teaching a little science lesson. She says, "That grey ring around the yolk is actually the iron in the egg yolk reacting with the hydrogen sulfide from the white . . . and only happens when you over cook it."

Here is the basic instructions on how to boil an egg:

One. Place eggs in a pot and cover with water with only an inch cover.
Two. Heat the water on a medium-high heat until water starts to boil. She says, "not just a few bubbles here or there", but a good boil. Turn off the heat. I usually put a lid on my pot, but she doesn't instruct you to do this.
Three. Set the timer for 10 minutes.
Four. After 10 minutes, remove the eggs and plunge them into either ice water or cold water. Let them sit for 5 minutes.
Five. Peel the eggs.

The key to great eggs is paying attention to the details like not doing several things at one time. So then when the timer goes off, I am there ready to plunge the eggs into the cold water, etc. My eggs turned out beautifully, nice and yellow on the inside and no grey rings.

From reading the comments below the blog post (my favorite part about reading a blog), I gleaned a couple new tricks for peeling the eggs:

One. Knock the hard-boiled egg on the counter on the hollow spot of the egg, not the tip end but the other slightly flatter end. And "be sure to get the shell AND the clear membrane started peeling and the rest should come off in a snap."
Two. Once eggs are cool, "put them in a pan with about a half-inch of water, put the lid on, them shake them like crazy. Really crash them into each other. After a bit of this, the shells will come off quite nicely. This idea came from another Pinterest site.
Three. Loosen the shell by first cracking it in a couple of places, then rubbing it gently between your hands to loosen the shell.


I actually tried THREE and it worked great! Nice yellow eggs, no grey ring and now easier to peel.


The red pin award for a great tutorial that I can refer to forever!

Here is the link for my other post on How to make hard-boiled eggs in the oven.




Happy pinning!

2 comments:

  1. I've got a suggestion!
    If you're just going to chop or make deviled eggs, take a large chef's knife and slice the egg the long ways. Then get a cereal spoon and use it like you would to remove an avocado from its skin. It will come out in one piece with zero eggs shell bits to fuss with.

    I know this one works :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. Why not? I am willing to try just about anything new these days :)

    ReplyDelete