Saturday, June 2, 2012

removing yellow underarm stains


Yellowing Underarm Pits -- Before Photo

Here is the direct link for :  On the Spot: Removing Yellow Underarm Stains

Here I am sharing my dirty laundry or in this case, my yellowing laundry.

Is it even possible to think that those stains are fixable? The author of Best Bib and Tucker blog says 'yes' to that. They say that when the aluminum in my deodorant and the sweat of my armpits meet, the result is yellowing underarm stains on my shirts. In their blog, they include a recipe for removing those stains. And here I thought: Hey, it's simply time for a new shirt!

So I tried this concoction. Equal parts water, baking soda and hydrogen peroxide (about 1/4 cup each). I soaked the shirt and then rubbed the 'left over' mixture into the arm pits. I soaked the shirt for about 30 minutes and then machine washed it.

The result? no need for a new photo, the shirt is still a bit yellowy. Not a big change really. I did not scrub the mixture into the fabric with a toothbrush as they noted, but this seemed like an optional idea. Next time I would though.

One good thing. While in the process of soaking my shirt, I found another blog that had a few more helpful details as well as tips for using it on color fabrics. One Good Thing by Jillee uses hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and Dawn dish washing soap AND a scrub brush. The link for her recipe and results are below. Her photos are living proof this works! Might want to pin this one.

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2011/11/goodbye-to-yellow-armpit-stains.html


Happy pinning!

No comments:

Post a Comment