Tuesday, June 26, 2012

DYI vintage framed chalk blackboard signs



Here is the direct link for: DYI Vintage Framed Chalk Blackboard Signs.

I originally saw this pin, Our Secret Chalkboard Elf, around Christmas time, and thought it was so cool! But much to my disappointment, Julie, the author of the blog, EAB Designs, doesn't give you the 'how-to' for making your own framed chalkboard, just that she has one and uses it in her home.

The 'how to' pin/link, above, comes from the blog, Hey Gorgeous. Their instructions are pretty detailed with photos that tell lots. I had purchased my frame, a wooden frame with no glass, at Michaels with my half-off coupon. I receive a new one practically every day once you sign up form their emails. My husband cut a piece of masonite board to fit my frame insert. He sanded it lightly and hand-painted it (not sprayed) with the chalkboard paint, at least a couple of coats. Pretty simple.

FYI. The only thing I didn't think of when buying my frame was whether or not the frame created enough of a ledge for the chalk to rest on. My frame doesn't have that, thus the little ceramic jar, above, works great for holding the chalk. Cute enough.

I hung my chalkboard in my kitchen, next to the phone. The family uses it for messages like this one: 'happy birthday Hannah'.

The biggest plus? no more little post-it notes all over the place telling the kids "don't forget this", "don't forget that", and "by the way, this is where I am". Works like a charm, so far.


The red pin award for easy-peasy! It looks really nice too. I am pleased.

Happy pinning!

No comments:

Post a Comment