Monday, June 18, 2012

make your own vanilla extract



Here is the direct link for: Make Your Own Vanilla Extract.

Years ago I made vanilla extracts for Christmas gifts. My own personal bottle of vanilla needs a complete makeover though, thus I found this blog, Bethany Actually, and learned a thing or two new about making a new bottle of vanilla extract.

This blog post has wonderful photos to get you excited about bottling your own vanilla. What I gleaned from it actually came from the comments section at the bottom of the post.

Here are three new tips I particularly liked:

One. Run the vodka through a standard Brita water filter pitcher. This person says that this process creates a considerably cleaner tasting alcohol. And if filtered a few times it will remove the 'vodka' taste and make the vanilla even more enjoyable.

Two. Cut the vanilla beans length wise about 2/3 of the way up. Put the cut side into the jar then add bourbon as the liquid (not vodka).

Three.  Cut the vanilla beans in half. Use a half of a bean in a jar with 2 cups of sugar with enough space to shake the sugar around. Shake the jar every couple of days to blend the flavor for a month. This person uses vanilla sugar in their coffee and on their cereal. I have several recipes that request vanilla sugar to be added to it.

I didn't have a Brita water filter, but I did go out an buy some bourbon. Plus I made a container of the vanilla sugar. The water filter idea is very intriguing to me. Keep that in mind for next time. I love pushing an idea further! This pin and especially the comments did that for me.

My vanilla extract and sugar now need to sit for one month. I will keep you posted on how it turns out.


The red pin award! These are both a gift for me this time.

Here is a great website for every kind of bottle imaginable: http://www.specialtybottle.com/clearbostonroundglassbottle4ozwcap.aspx

Happy pinning!


No comments:

Post a Comment