Wednesday, June 27, 2012

how to hand-wind a center-pull ball of yarn



Here is the direct link for: How to Hand-Wind a Center-Pull Ball of Yarn.

I found myself in a predicament this morning, needing to hand-wind a skein of yarn but definitely needing both ends for double stranding the yarn in my project. I found this link from the blog, Damp City Knits. It gives a great tutorial on how to hand-wind a loose hank of yarn into a ball with two available ends.

The tutorial is straight forward and easy to follow with lots of photos. Just remember to wind the ball loosely to not 'stress' the yarn and don't lose track of the inside end. The blog's author cautions that when using "some delicate or 'sticky' yarns, such as mohair or lace-weight silk yarn, it can be difficult to pull from the center, as their strands tend to stick together and tangle. In these cases, it is best to knit from the outside of the ball." Good to know!

I then tested out my new ball of yarn by knitting double stranded, pulling from both the center and the outside. It worked slick! A great reference pin.



The red pin award for practical resource!

Happy pinning!

2 comments:

  1. Great timing! I am wanting to learn to double knit and i have a feeling you have just saved my bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the slickest thing and easy too. You won't be disappointed. I am being totally selfish here when I create these posts: getting answers to most of my problems!

    ReplyDelete