Thursday, August 2, 2012

slow cooker coconut ginger chicken & vegetables


Here is the direct link for: Slow Cooker Coconut Ginger Chicken & Vegetables.

I love coconut in all its forms: in a curry dish, a macaroon cookie or simply rubbed all over my legs after shaving! It is such a versatile nut (fruit?).

This recipe comes from the blog, Simple Bites. The blog's author, Aimee, says this about her crock pot recipe, "Chicken and vegetables in the slow-cooker is pretty predictable, I admit, but thanks to a fragrant spice blend and a good dose of aromatics such as ginger root and garlic, this dish sings with flavor . . . comfort food at its finest". My mouth is already watering!

The comment section on the bottom forewarned me about two things. One, be careful NOT to place your crock pot over the stove top like the recipe instructs. One commenter had done so and the heat cracked her pot. The blog's author has a special crock pot with an adapter so she can do that. Most of us do not.

The second comment was about the dish's flavor, she said, "I made this tonight and it was pretty bland. I couldn’t taste the spices at all . . . and they were fresh. Or maybe I should double up on the spice blend and ginger?" I listened and added more spices to mine right off the bat. I would agree, it is pretty bland. I can't figure what it needs either. I love the color. I love the texture, and I even added tofu to the mix as well, which I also love. Hm-mmm.

My husband really liked it. And he would like me to make it again. But my daughter would not eat it at all. I am hoping it is one of those dishes that tastes better the next day because there is a lot left over. It makes a hearty batch.


I would give this a half of a red pin award, if I could. It has wonderful presentation but just needs a little something. Maybe a little lemon grass would do the trick.

I'm going to the store to buy a tube of Gourmet Garden's lemon grass. I'll stir a little into my leftovers and report back my findings.


Happy pinning!

No comments:

Post a Comment