Monday, August 20, 2012

no-churn vanilla ice cream


Here is the direct link for: No-Churn Vanilla Ice Cream.

This pin comes from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food series. Sarah Carey, a food editor for Everyday Food shows you (video option) how to make vanilla ice cream without an ice cream maker.

I love Sarah Carey's cooking videos! She is so quirky and fun. Sarah makes cooking simple looking and very doable. She gives lots of no-nonsense like tips to improve your skills like this one: Don't measure wet ingredients over the mixing bowl so if your hand is shaky you won't get extras. I had never thought about it like that before.

Her vanilla ice cream recipe calls for 4 ingredients: sweetened condensed milk, heavy cream, vanilla extract and bourbon (an optional item). The alcohol in the bourbon keeps the ice cream soft and prevents against ice crystals forming.

The recipe calls for two tablespoons of bourbon. Several of the comments at the bottom of the post stated they excluded the bourbon because of having young children. Being curious, I wanted to try the bourbon, full strength, to taste its effects on the flavor of the ice cream.

After about six hours of freezer time, my family scooped up the ice cream for a taste. My husband and daughter found it to be a bit strong tasting with the bourbon. My husband absolutely loves ice cream, any flavor, so this surprised me that he didn't care for it. I personally thought it was just fine, very rich and silky. But to please everyone, next time I will add only one tablespoon of bourbon and not the optional two.

Surprisingly, the same ice cream (now only a little bit left) tasted just fine the next day, still soft, no ice crystals and no longer as strong bourbon tasting. The flavor obviously mellows with time.

This is a great vanilla ice cream recipe, a must go-to recipe for entertaining!


The red pin award for a keeper of a recipe!

Now all I need to do is add a little chocolate for a chocolate version.




 Happy pinning!

3 comments:

  1. When I read your description of the ingredients aloud to my sweetie, his eye rolled back in his head just thinking how good it would taste!!!

    I appreciate the mention of letting it sit and mellow - actually makes sense and very good to know.

    And please let me know if you decide to test out chocolate!! Bourbon and chocolate - my sweetie would melt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS My sweetie has two eyes! Must pay better attention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are too funny, Pam. I will keep you posted about the chocolate ice cream.

    ReplyDelete